Thursday, February 21, 2008

Demonstration in Serbia




Today is a big day in Serbia. First demonstration to protest against the unilateral declaration of independance of Kosovo by the Albanian kosovars. The main demonstration of course takes place in Belgrade, where I just read from the internet news B92 that "Hundreds of thousands of Serbians gathered today in Belgrade for a Kosovo protest."



I was spending my day as usual in my quite town of Krusevac, where, with Bojan, we decided to 'look at' the demonstration (without participate). Around 5PM, we listened the first klaxons, and then we just had to follow the noise. Ok, Krusevac has only one main street so it was not so difficult to find the protestors. The demonstrators, maybe around 2000 people top, in majority they were high school pupils (because today was a day off for the schools to demonstrate), and few teachers.


Demonstration was peacefull and even quite calm. When I stand in a rubbish to take pictures and see how many people was there, I regognize few people: high school students, my neighbour, local democrates. Once, a guy came to me smiling, and told me in serbian: maybe i could say to people where you are from!... another time, I met Sheki, who told me smiling as well: You are our problem.



ok, it may look funny a french girl in the middle of all this demonstrators...






And to finish, people who start to understand serbian culture can guess where the demonstration ends: to the old church of course. There was a mess and highspeakers outside the church and then everyone calm down and listened the priest... I was a bit lost because I never know when I have to do this gestures with my hands and a bit scared by this music in the night with all those demonstrators. Anyway, we left soon, and I think the demonstration didnt continue a lot after we left.







No comments: