Thursday, February 7, 2008

french language in Krusevac

As I may already said, I am the only volunteer in Krusevac so it's not often that I speak french and I am always a bit surprised when people speak to me in french.
This week, I met 2 women, who spoke to me in my native language. 2 different women, with 2 different stories.

The first woman is named Katarina. She is a blondy 30-year-old french teacher in the public school Yovan Popovic. She came to the office when she heard by one of her student that there was a french volunteer. She was a bit shy to speak because her french is limited. She explained to me she become teacher few years ago, and then get 2 kids so she didnt work for 3 years and this year came back to school to teach french. I am surprised to listen her speaking a bad french and to think she teach this bad french language to her pupils. My friend Bojan is even a better speaker than her. She explained it's difficult for her to speak because she has never been to France because of the Visa's trouble and it's rare to see foreign people coming in Serbia, and in Krusevac. I have to meet this girl again, I can maybe help her to speak and to be a better teacher (at least she could teach to pronounce properly usual things as number...).

The second woman is an anonymeous lady. Around 50 or 60 years old. Gypsy woman that I met on the fontana square, in Krusevac. She is quite small, and few teeth are still in her mouth (but I could say for how long more). She stared to speak in serbian. When I told her I didnt speak a good serbian, she answered in a perfect french: Vous parlez francais?
Of course I do. "Tu sais, moi je vis ici, j'ai pas de papier, j'ai pas d'argent et pas de maison. Ici sans papiers quand on est vieux c'est past facile".
"Mais ou as-tu appris a parler aussi bien le francais, tu es tres forte, ton francais est parfait".
"Tu sais, moi j'ai habitez 20 ans a Paris, toujours sans papiers et sans maison, alors un fois vieille je suis revenue pres de ma famille. Mais tu sais c'est pas facile ici."


...

The woman was so amazing. Sometimes I dont understand this world where we live. Inegality because of one official document. What a contrast between those women. Why this competent lady can not have a life as good as this first woman...

No comments: